Every once in a while I have a hard time thinking of something to write about. But then my family through its usual hilarity and fun, gives me just the right topic. I really do owe them a debt of gratitude for kindly tolerating my story telling about them.
A week ago, "Mommy" called to visit on the phone. Of course I didn't answer it, but "Mini Me" did and within minutes we were both in tears. It seems that "Mommy" and the girls had been at a Cross Country meet in some cold wet weather. "Mommy" coaches and the girls are often with her. Anyway, when they got home after several hours, they were all chilled and damp so "Mommy" decided that the three of them would get into a hot shower and clean up and warm up. Believe me, it is one of the most efficient ways to bathe small children. What could go wrong with that plan, right?
Not long into the shower, the smoke alarms in the house started going off. What to do?!!? Water is safe in a fire right? Leave the girls in the shower and check out what is on fire! Good Plan! "Mommy" quickly gets out of the shower and steps onto the tile floor. Did I say "steps"? Rather, she glided across the floor ungracefully and landed hard against the door frame! And she was naked.
She went down the steps and attempted to turn off that smoke detector with a nearby stick while on the steps. It did not turn off. And she was still naked.
She went back upstairs to one of the bedrooms. She dragged a vanity bench under the smoke alarm and tried to turn it off. No good! Thank God the blinds were down, because she was still naked. Next she ran into the next bedroom. Quickly surveying the room she noticed a large plastic bin in the room that would be perfect to stand on to reach that smoke alarm. So she got on top of it - Naked - and tried to turn off the alarm but it didn't shut off. Just before she started to get down, the lid to the plastic bin gave way and she crashed through the top. As it shattered it bruised her entire leg. While the blinds in that room were also closed, I think I may have been willing to pay to be a fly on the wall! Remember, she was still naked.
As she climbed out of the bin, she noticed that steam from the shower was all over the smoke alarm in the hallway outside the bathroom and then the revelation hit..... she had forgotten to turn the exhaust fan on in the bathroom, which she did immediately and lo and behold she was able to cancel the screams of the smoke alarm. Since she was still naked, she decided to get back in the shower. On her way there, she again skated across the bathroom tile, causing yet more damage to her naked body. The girls of course, were concerned about all the noise. As she explained some of what happened, her oldest admonished her for standing on the plastic box. Thanks!
By the time she called us, she was sitting on the couch with ice packs on various parts of her body which seems to defeat the purpose in the first place of warming up in the shower, but oh well. The moral to this story is of course, that there is always time to grab a towel. Be careful on Momsense Monday and every day!!!
Wife, Mother, Mother, Mother, Mother, Mother, Mother, Mother, Nurse, Grandmother, Friend...that's me in a nutshell!